The Greenway Chaplin Community Centre has been serving our community since 1985. We offer programs and services for every type of family or individual.
Building Community with You
Greenway Chaplin Community Centre connects community residents by offering neighbours and friends the opportunity to thrive by providing recreational, educational, supportive programs and volunteer opportunities.
At Greenway-Chaplin we value:
Our area borders Samuelson/Dundas to Hespeler Rd., Bishop to Franklin Blvd. However, anyone can access a program if space is available.
Some of our programs take place at our 6 area schools: Avenue Road, Christ the King, Elgin St., Manchester Public, St. Peter and the Islamic School of Cambridge.
Commitment to Children Philosophy
What they learn at play provides a strong foundation that will help prepare them for future life experiences. All recreation and sport programs have a responsibility to provide activities and environments where children feel safe, welcome, competent, connected, empowered and special. High Five is a quality
HIGH FIVE is a quality assurance program and accreditation system to help children’s recreation and sport programs measure the quality of their programs and to support them in the quest for quality.
The HIGH FIVE program:
- Provides resources, tools and training to support program quality
- Supports organizations using these resources, tools and training to meet their commitment to quality
- Accredits organizations that are using the training, tools and resources to support quality in their children’s programs
- Helps parents understand what to look for in a quality program
Greenway-Chaplin Community Centre recognizes that the following conditions help children along the path of healthy development.
Environments for children must be:
- Secure, safe, and stable
- Caring, Stimulating, Accessible and Challenging
- Considerate of personal space needs and special needs
- Equipped with age, size, and ability-appropriate equipment, furniture, and materials and
- Welcoming of diverse races, cultures and abilities
Activities for children must:
- Allow for a combination of self-directed and leader-directed activities
- Provide children with opportunities for input, involvement, and choice
- Reflect both assessed and expressed needs
- Provide opportunities for active participation and reflection
- Encourage co-operation and friendship
- Incorporate varied learning styles and developmental stages
- Recognize uniqueness and encourage mastery and
- Value and incorporate cultural, racial and linguistic delivery
Leaders and Volunteers must:
- Ensure all children are treated with respect, honesty, and trust
- Recognize and accept children’s individual needs and circumstances
- Employ positive behaviour-management methods
- Help children value and celebrate diversity in the community
- Consistently model appropriate behaviour and
- Continually evaluate the program and leadership to ensure improvement and reflect changing needs
Greenway-Chaplin Community Centre will:
- Encourage and support the on-going development of staff and volunteers with regard to their knowledge and understanding of healthy child development
- Ensure clear and on-going communication with parents and families
- Encourage participation and input from children and families and
- Provide the organizational supports necessary to ensure that children feel safe, welcome, competent, connected, empowered and special
Why HIGH FIVE?
HIGH FIVE helps people and organizations make a difference in over 1 million children’s lives annually, giving them ‘the best way to play’TM.
HIGH FIVE is Canada’s only comprehensive quality standard for children’s programs, offering a holistic approach to healthy child development based in years of research. HIGH FIVE holds true to the following five Principles of healthy child development that the research indicates are essential for providing a positive experience for kids:
- A Caring Adult
HIGH FIVE’s unique and proprietary approach is built on a Quality Framework, consisting of:
- Training and Development for staff working in children’s programs
- Program Assessments using the scientifically-validated QUEST 2 Tool
- Establishing Policies and Procedures to manage risk
- Creating Awareness for parents of the benefits of high quality programs for kids
HIGH FIVE works because of its comprehensive, evidence-based approach to positive experiences for kids. Through the use of HIGH FIVE tools, like QUEST 2, quality becomes measurable, quantifiable and attainable. Organizations can identify areas for improvement with confidence, program satisfaction is increased and organizations enjoy the benefits of meeting an increasing demand for quality assurance certification.
Quality matters because research shows people are more likely to stay active for life if they have positive experiences in sport, recreation and physical activity as a child. Through our national network of delivery partners, we address societal challenges like children’s mental health and physical inactivity, educating practitioners on kids’ cognitive, social and emotional needs.
- Executive Director – Emily Jaarsma – email@example.com
- Family Outreach Worker – Patti Mick – firstname.lastname@example.org 519-498-7638
- Program Coordinator – Kelsey Orban – email@example.com
- Executive Assistant CNO – Sarah Graydon – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Volunteer Coordinator – Alicia Donaghy – email@example.com
- Recreation Supervisor – Joey Sinclair – firstname.lastname@example.org
- Community Recreation Worker – Michaela Spencer – email@example.com
To speak with our Instructors Contact Kelsey
- Youth Drop-in Worker – Joey Sinclair, Stephan Gagne
- Peer Health Worker at Parent Take a Break Program – Tracy